Family Verses

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity."
-Jeremiah 29:11-14

Thursday, February 5, 2009

A Mother's Take on I Corinthian's 13

My mother passed along a few parenting books to Jason and I that she and my dad read when my sister and I were young. I've been reading one of them recently called A Mother's Heart by Jean Fleming. It's got some wonderful insight on developing character as a mother. This morning while Caleb was drinking his bottle next to me in bed I was reading a little bit and came across the author's own paraphrase of I Corinthians 13. I thought it was quite interesting, so I decided to write my own paraphrase this afternoon while Caleb is napping. Hope you enjoy!


"If I try to keep my house clean and in perfect order, but do not show love to my family -
it is all for nothing.
If I create the most beautiful drapes and pillows, delicious meals, always look attractive, but am not loving to my family -
I am nothing.
If I'm busy teaching Sunday school, playing for choir, teaching piano, meeting with friends, going to Bible study, but fail to give enough love to my family -
I gain nothing.
Love is patient... changes diapers, cleans up after meals, does laundry, comforts the sick - over and over and over again.
Love is kind, even though I'm tired and 8 months pregnant!
Love doesn't wish I was another woman -
who has no kids so she can go shopping or go on a night out whenever she feels like it.
Love doesn't try to impress others with my son's achievements... or my own.
Love doesn't scream back at my son.
Love doesn't feel sorry for myself because I didn't get to do what I wanted to do today - read, take a long shower, nap.
Love doesn't react in anger quickly.
Love doesn't remind my husband that he's forgotten to take the trash out... again.
Love doesn't rejoice when another woman's children are going crazy on a plane and mine is not.
Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amber--This is just said so beautifully! You have put it into words and brought it down where the rubber meets the road. You are a beautiful person, mother, daughter and above all else "a beautiful granddaughter" (inside as well as outside). I love you dearly and am so proud of you! Grandma Rus.

Unknown said...

I really, really like this, Amber. Also, I cannot BELIEVE you are already 8 months pregnant! What's your official due date?

The Redouteys said...

Thanks for your kind words, Grandma! I love you.

The Redouteys said...

March 31 is the official due date, Angel! It's coming quickly. :)

Reba said...

Amber:

Thank you so much for sharing that. As a mom and wife, I struggle with this daily. There are times when I literally have to talk myself into getting up to do the dishes or laundry, but I remember I am doing it for the Lord. I have never seen it put this way before...it was exactly what I needed.

Terra said...

This was great Amber and i don't even have a baby. I can't believe you are going to have 2 kids before I even have 1.

Berjo said...

I struggled with the same things when you two were little and it was hard to keep the right perspective. Now that I can look back at those years----they were some of the most rewarding and your children will be molded by your love. I'm so proud of you, Amber.
Love, mom

carolyn said...

Amber,
Your I Corinthians 13 is beautiful and boy, can I relate exactly to several of the lines! :) Thanks for sharing it.
(It's been awhile since I checked your blog, but I'm trying to be a bit more "with it" in the blogging world, so I'll check again soon! I'm still resisting Facebook though!)

Carolyn